When it comes to buying a new bed, bed frame, or mattress, there are a TON of options. So many that it becomes difficult to even fully understand your options! Platform bed frames are on the rise in popularity these days, and since we get a lot of questions about them, we thought it wise to put together this guide. So what is a platform bed frame, anyways?
What is a Platform Bed Frame?
A platform bed frame is a type of bed base that features a flat rectangular platform, often made up of slats of wood or metal. The platform base serves as a solid support system for a mattress. A good platform bed eliminates the need for a box spring, which is one of the main reason so many people choose this type of bed.
There are a couple different types of platform beds, including:
- Solid platform beds, with a solid single platform typically made of wood, plastic, metal, or a composite material
- Slat platform beds, consisting of slats of material (usually wood) spaced 3-6″ apart, allowing for more ventilation of the mattress and more flexibility
- Metal platform beds, which have a solid metal grid-pattern frame, often with smaller wires to provide additional support in between the larger metal slats
In some cases, you can also get platform bed frames with built-in drawers that offer a nifty storage solution for your bedroom. As with most things these days, there are a wide variety of options out there.
What are the Pros and Cons of Platform Beds?
Platform beds certainly have advantages over traditional metal frames with a box spring, but that’s not to say that they aren’t without disadvantages, as well. Here’s the breakdown:
- Eliminates the need for a box spring in most cases
- Typically cheaper than a traditional setup
- Lightweight and easy to move
- Provides great ventilation of mattress (especially slatted-style bed frames)
- Offers a strong foundation for your mattress, without the bulk of a traditional setup
- Has a sleek, modern look
- Easier to buy online because they are simpler for retailers to ship
- Low to the ground
- Can be difficult to get in and out of for people with back problems or poor mobility
- Can sometimes be more noisy/creaky than traditional frames
- Some mattress manufacturers still require you to use a box spring in order to keep your warranty valid
Should You Buy a Platform Bed?
Overall, platform beds are a great choice for many people. We would recommend them to the majority of our readers, simply because they are cheaper, simpler, and more stylish than traditional box spring and frame setups.
With that said, if you have trouble getting in and out of bed, you should avoid platform beds. They are lower to the ground than traditional beds, which makes them more difficult to get in and out of for folks with mobility issues.
Lastly, if you plan to use a platform bed and won’t be using a box spring, read your mattress warranty details. In some cases, manufacturers require the use of a box spring in order to maintain the warranty validity.
Latest posts by Austin Meadows (see all)
- Best Mattress Topper 2018: Reviews and Buying Guide - October 17, 2018
- Best Mattress Topper for Side Sleepers 2018: Reviews & Buying Guide - October 13, 2018
- Best Mattress Topper for Back Pain 2018: Reviews & Buying Guide - October 10, 2018